10. January 2017
New Year’s resolutions for IT security
G DATA offers five helpful tips that can save users a lot of regrets in 2017 and beyond.
IT security resolutions for 2017
- Install all updates: The operating system and all installed applications on the computer, smartphone and tablet should be brought up to date. Software that is no longer being supplied with updates by the provider should be deleted or replaced with new software.
- Back up critical data: Ransomware attacks and PC breakdowns have made it abundantly clear that data can be permanently lost. A backup can save your family photos and videos. Powerful security solutions such as G DATA Total Security and G DATA Internet Security usually include a backup module and anti-ransomware technology, so there is no need to buy additional software.
- Apps only from secure sources: Applications should only be downloaded from trustworthy app stores belonging to manufacturers and providers. The permissions requested with every download should be carefully checked.
- Install a security solution: Powerful security software is part of the basic set-up for PCs, Macs and mobile devices. It should include extensive protection against malware and other cyber threats.
- Use strong passwords: Passwords should always be at least eight characters long and consist of a combination of lower and upper case letters plus numbers and eventually special characters. Furthermore, the same password should never be reused on other online platforms. A password manager such as the one included in G DATA Total Security can help with this.