New Year’s resolutions for IT security
G DATA offers five helpful tips that can save users a lot of regrets in 2017 and beyond.
You can make endless lists of worthy New Year's resolutions. Digital security, however, should be the one resolution you really stick with. An all too carefree attitude towards the security of PCs and mobile devices makes life easy for cyber criminals. Is there a comprehensive security solution installed on the PC, smartphone and tablet, and is it fully up to date? Users should install all available updates for the software they are using as well as for the operating system. Passwords should be changed on a regular basis. Just following these few simple tips complicates matters for cyber criminals. Here are G DATA’s resolutions for increasing their personal digital security.
- Install all updates: The operating system and all installed applications on the computer, smartphone and tablet should be brought up to date. Software that is no longer being supplied with updates by the provider should be deleted or replaced with new software.
- Back up critical data: Ransomware attacks and PC breakdowns have made it abundantly clear that data can be permanently lost. A backup can save your family photos and videos. Powerful security solutions such as G DATA Total Security and G DATA Internet Security usually include a backup module and anti-ransomware technology, so there is no need to buy additional software.
- Apps only from secure sources: Applications should only be downloaded from trustworthy app stores belonging to manufacturers and providers. The permissions requested with every download should be carefully checked.
- Install a security solution: Powerful security software is part of the basic set-up for PCs, Macs and mobile devices. It should include extensive protection against malware and other cyber threats.
- Use strong passwords: Passwords should always be at least eight characters long and consist of a combination of lower and upper case letters plus numbers and eventually special characters. Furthermore, the same password should never be reused on other online platforms. A password manager such as the one included in G DATA Total Security can help with this.